the Breeze

MOBILE PHONE TOWER TENDERS ANNOUNCED FOR RUSSELL IS AND STRADDIE

December 11, 2017

MOBILE PHONE TOWER TENDERS ANNOUNCED FOR RUSSELL IS AND STRADDIE

 

Tenders have now been called for new mobile phone base stations on Russell Island and Straddie to improve mobile coverage thanks to the Federal Government’s Mobile Black Spot Program, Andrew Laming MP has announced.

Part of the 2016 commitment, Mr Laming said that there had been minor delays in the process due to a national inquiry which was only resolved in September.

State member for Cleveland, Mark Robinson said “improved mobile services on North Straddie is great news for all three townships”, while Straddie Chamber of Commerce President, Colin Battersby said he was “delighted that businesses on the Island, plus our visitors can now have improved connectivity as they move across the island for the first time.”

Outgoing State member for Redlands, Matt McEachan welcomed the better connectivity and the benefits for residents during emergencies.

“Mobile coverage for southern Russell Island will be massively improved for residents and businesses particularly where households are isolated, with bush fire alerts a prime example”. 

SMBI Chamber President Josh Bull remarked: “ all businesses on the SMBI will be better off with mobile coverage that most of the mainland takes for granted.”

Tenders are due to be awarded for the construction of the towers to commence early in 2018 with work beginning shortly thereafter.

“Labor has never had a program to support construction of mobile phone towers, nor have they invested a single cent in mobile coverage in their six years of Government. That is why Redlanders have to wait for a Coalition government to sort out mobile coverage issues,” said Mr Laming.

 

CAPTION

• The existing mobile phone tower on Russell Island is overloaded.

Please reload

© the breeze 0423 229 739