COMING EVENTS august
• MURDER MYSTERY EVENT Russell Island RSL Club Saturday 11th August. 3 hour interactive Mystery and Murder starts 7pm. Great Fun night! On Sale Now. Ticket holder event only. $70 per person; $120 per couple. Club 34091985.
• RPAC SHOWS - Check out the RPAC SHOWS on pages 8 ,9 and 10 of this edition. Some great coming RPAC entertainment. Phone 38298131
• POINT LOOKOUT BOWLS CLUB "A lawn bowls carnival with prize money of $16,500 will be held at the Point Lookout Bowls Club from the 20th to 23rd August. The event attracts bowlers from all the eastern states and New Zealand and has been held for the past 22 years. The carnival is played in two separate competitions, Mixed Fours and Open Pairs with up to 120 bowlers taking part. Bowlers will be travelling from Melbourne, the ACT, North Queensland, country NSW and from many clubs in south-east Queensland to compete at the Club which has been in existence at Point Lookout on North Stradbroke Island for 45 years. For more information about playing in the carnival contact the Club’s Secretary, Alan Carter on 0409 873 757, the Club on 3409 8182 or visit www.pointlookoutbowlsclub.com.au for a brochure and entry form. Bowlers seeking accommodation on the island should go to to: stradbrokeisland.com/straddie/stay/featured; there are plenty of places to stay within an easy walking distance from the Club."
BREAKFAST FUNDRAISER TO BENEFIT KIDS
Local businesses and organisations are asked to dig deep and purchase tickets for the 16th annual Redland City Mayoral Prayer Breakfast on Friday 24 August 2018 6:45am-8:45am at the Alexandra Hills Conference Centre to raise funds for much-needed chaplaincy programs in Redlands’ state schools. For more information on sponsorship opportunities contact Council via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 3829 8288. Tickets to the Breakfast ($55 each or $500 for a table of 10) can be purchased from the Redland Performing Arts Centre by phone 3829 8131, online www.rpac.com.au or in person at 2-16 Middle St, Cleveland.
Seniors Week will be held on Russell Island from the 18-26 August 2018 and we have activities coming up to that time as well as during that week. Monday 20th August there is the Table Tennis competition for all levels starting at 5.30pm which will include nibbles, tea and coffee. ($5 entry). Saturday 25th August is the Seniors Walk ($5) which includes a light breakfast, gift bag, free entry to raffles, hat, drink bottle and Op Shop voucher. Arrive 8.30am at our centre. Trophies are being given out for the competitions and registration and information can be obtained from contacting us on 3409 1177 or popping into our offices on Russell or Macleay.
• ANNUAL LIFESTYLE CHALLENGE CUP Bay Islands Golf Club sponsored by Redland City Council on Wednesday 5th September with a shotgun start at 8.30am. The event will be an 18 hole stableford, fiercely contested between Bay Islands Vets and Mainland Vets. The mainland clubs comprise of Redland Bay, Carbrook, Riverlakes, Meadowbrook, Mt. Warren Park and Windaroo.
• REDFEST STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL Norm Price Park from 7-9 September. The festival will celebrate its diamond anniversary in September with a wonderful three days of fun an entertainment planned. A touch of nostalgia and glamour has been added to this year’s big event, at the Cleveland Showgrounds – Norm Price Park from 7-9 September, with the return of the Strawberry Queen Ball on Saturday 1 September and the community float parade through Cleveland on the Saturday morning of the show.
• ISLAND TREASURE HUNT - Meet new people and have a great weekend of fun bringing all islands together for the chance to win one of 3 great prizes valued at $3,800. Sunday 9th September. Finish off with a sausage sizzle and some games at Karragarra at lunchtime. Phone Robyn a call on 0421763826 to pre register.
•COMEDY SHOW featuring Rob Brown and Kat Davidson will be held at the Russell Island Bowls Club on Saturday, 15th September. Limited numbers. Purchase tickets at the club phone 34091330.
• LIONS CLUB COMMUNITY MARKETS are held at the Macleay Island Community Centre on the first Saturday of each month.
• ORGANIC MARKETS Infinite Earth Fest, Every Saturday 8am to 2pm the Lemon Farm, Loniciera Street, Macleay Island.
• Macleay Island Arts Complex Events - Tuesday Art Group 10am till noon. Thursday Painting and Printing Group 10am till noon. Pottery Shed Group meets Mon, Tues, Wed, Sat 9am till noon. Life Drawing first Friday of the month 10am till noon Art Gallery open Friday to Sunday 10am till 3pm. Lots more always happening so see website http://macleayislandarts.org.aufor updates.