COMING EVENTS SEPTEMBER
COMING EVENTS SEPTEMBER
• SMBI WELL BEING HUB Getting Connected starts SEPTEMBER on Tuesdays and Thursdays. See program page 7 of this issue. Bring a friend and make a new one! Free entry; Free transport. Find our more from Email: CAllen@raq.org.au Mobile: 0448 168 943 Telephone: 07 3423 6907 (VOIP 15001
• The RedFest Strawberry Festival 7 September 2018 Sept 7-9, 2018.Friday night from 5 through to Sunday is the ultimate weekend of music, art and entertainment for people big and small. Redland Strawberry Festival provides a vibrant mix of music, arts and cultural displays, sideshow alley with an abundance of international, national and local entertainment. Showgrounds, corner of Long Street and Smith Street, Cleveland.
• ISLAND TREASURE HUNT - Meet new people and have a great weekend of fun bringing all islands together for the chance to win one of 3 great prizes valued at $3,800. Sunday 9th September. Finish off with a sausage sizzle and some games at Karragarra at lunchtime. Phone Robyn a call on 0421763826 to pre register.
• $10,000 TO BE WON - If you are a financial member of the Russell Island RSL Club, you had better be at the club on Saturday, September 15, when $10,000 will be ‘up for grabs’ for one lucky member. You must be in the club to win!
• COMEDY SHOW featuring Rob Brown and Kat Davidson will be held at the Russell Island Bowls Club on Saturday, 15th September. Limited numbers. Purchase tickets at the club phone 34091330.
• RPAC SHOWS Soon. Hotel Sorrento a play by Hannie Rayson. Vivid, moving and funny. Saturday September 22, 7.30pm. Wasteland, what sort of world will YOU leave? Friday 5 October, 7pm. Trivium Ensemble, Locally Sourced. Our fines composers, their freshest compositions. Friday, October 12, 79m. From Johnny to Jack, Luke Kennedy sings the John Jafnham Story, Saturday October 13.Bookings 38298131
• RAG exhibition celebrates local fathers Redland Art Gallery is celebrating Father’s Day early this year with its latest exhibition; My Father’s an Artist – featuring the works of three artists who are fathers with ties to Redlands Coast – delves into both what it’s like having an artist as a father and what it’s like being a father who practices art. Jindrich Degen, Jack Oudyn and Carl Warner have been drawn from their own private collections and that of the Redland Art Gallery, forming a diverse exhibition curated by Dominique Macedo.Exhibition dates: Open toTuesday 9 October 2018 Floor Talk: 5.30pm Thursday 6 September at Redland Art Gallery, Capalaba. More information: http://artgallery.redland.qld.gov.au/exhibitions/exhibition-2018/my-fathers-an-artist/
• PINKING UP COOCHIE! Oct 6th golf day; Oct 13th garage sale; Oct 14th Yoga class; Oct 26th Devonshire tea. Being run by Debi Sayer. Stradbroke ferries and Red Rock Cafe have donated vouchers. Debi Sayer: Sayerwhat@hotmail.com
Sent from my iPad
• READING AND WRITING! Redland Libraries has launched its new and exciting Adult Literacy Program, to provide free mentoring for adults needing help with reading, writing and basic number skills. Book online: www.redland.qld.gov.au/library
and go to ‘What’s on at your library’
• LIONS CLUB COMMUNITY MARKETS are held at the Macleay Island Community Centre on the first Saturday of each month.
• ORGANIC MARKETS Infinite Earth Fest, Every Saturday 8am to 2pm the Lemon Farm, Loniciera Street, Macleay Island.
• Macleay Island Arts Complex Events - Tuesday Art Group 10am till noon. Thursday Painting and Printing Group 10am till noon. Pottery Shed Group meets Mon, Tues, Wed, Sat 9am till noon. Life Drawing first Friday of the month 10am till noon Art Gallery open Friday to Sunday 10am till 3pm. Lots more always happening so see website http://macleayislandarts.org.au
SPORT ROUNDUP SEPTEMBER
INDOOR BOWLS - Indoor bowls has started at the Russell Island RSL Club. There are two mats that can cater for up to 16 players. It is open to all ages, with a ‘get to know you’ Open Day on Tuesday, September 11, starting 10am. Don’t be shy; come and have a try!
BAY ISLANDS GOLF CLUB - Captain’s report. The last month of winter and it has finally arrived and we will be happy for it to leave. The ladies golf on Tuesday will continue to start at 8.00am until October but the mixed days of Wednesday and Saturday will now start at 7.30am. The Main competition played in August was the Mens Matchplay and we finally have a winner in each grade with most events going to the 18th hole. The A Grade champion for 2018 is Jake leonard who battled the final with David Hung. The B Grade winner was Jack Huisman who went up against Nigel McLachlan and the C Grade winner was Rob Corbett who took the win from Gordon Green. Congratulations to all the winners and commiserations to the Runner ups.The 1st of August saw us play a stableford event with the mens winner being Larry Fabian with 40 points and also with 40 on a countback the runner up was Mike Ford. The ladies winner was Shirley Marshall with 36 points and the runner up was Pat Rodgers with 30. Saturday 4th August was the monthly medal competition and the A grade winner was Terry Fry with a nett 66 and the runner up was Les Dower with a nett 67. The B Grade winner was John Robert with a nett 66 and the runner up on a countback of 66 was Jim Hall. The C Grade winner was Gordon Green with a nett 69 and on a countback of 69 the runner up was Robert Turner. Once again a very close competition. Wednesday 8th was a 3 x Ambrose game and the winners were Laurie Fleming, Gordon Green and Jeff Ridge with a nett 50 and the runners up were Jeff Arndt, Les Dower and Jessie Snooks with a nett 52.33. Saturday 11th August was Foundation Day and it was great to see a few of the foundation members there for presentation, we will be forever grateful for the start that they gave the club and for a course and clubhouse that we are proud of, that the groundsman, committee, staff and volunteers continue to improve to this day. The game played was a stableford event with the winner getting their name on the Cy O’Donnell trophy. The mens winner was Lionel Brownsea with 43 points and the runner up was Lee Petersen with 42 points. The ladies and overall winner was Yvonne Bryant with 43 points and the runner up was Shirley Marshall with 36 points. Wednesday 15th was a stroke event with the winner being Mike Ford with a nett 59 and the runner up was Anthony Flanigan with a nett 61. Saturday the 18th was the Bill Tolhurst Memorial Day sponsored by Gerry Shiel, a foundation member, Patron and great supporter of the club. The men’s winner was one of our promising juniors Jack Burnitt with a nett 57 and the runner up was another junior Kane Leonard with a nett 58. Just for the record third place also went to a junior Jake Leonard, looks like the men might need to lift their game. The ladies winner was Gail Spann with a nett 68 and the runner up was Jan Bray with a nett 69. The birdie hole was won by Barry Malezar. Wednesday 22nd was a stroke event with the winner being Mike Ford with a nett 61 and the runner up was Les Dower with a nett 62. Saturday 25th we played an American Foursomes event and the winners were once again our juniors Jack Burnitt and Kane Leonard with a nett 54.5 and the runner ups were Jake Leonard and Lionel Brownsea with a nett 56.75. Laurie Fleming - Club Captain.
LADIES GOLF - We ended the July games with a stableford game on the 31st July 2018 sponsored by the lovely Jessie Snooks who presented the prizes to the winner Rhonda Chapman and the runner-up Shirley Marshall. The Monthly Medal stroke game on 7 August 2018 was won by Barbara Garvey and the runner-up was Gail Spann. The stroke game on 14 August 2018 sponsored by Spa Supermarket was won by Rhonda Chapman and the runner-up was Jan Bray. The stableford game on 21 August 2018 sponsored by Russell Island RSL was won by Moya Fox and the runner-up was Gail Spann. Thank you to all the sponsors and congratulations to all the winners. Carrol Alfonso - Ladies Captain
SOCCER - Saturday soccer training for the children is back up and running from 9.30 am on the Russell Island sports oval. Looking to put in under 6, under 7, under 8 and under 10 teams in the Football Brisbane 2019 season, so come along and have some fun training & find out more details. Also hoping to put an Adult team in the Sunday League for 2019, we were a few short for this season so text your interest to Mick on 0401483079. Thursday under 5`s from 10am, Bay Islands United joining fee is just $5 for 2018. Check all updates on www.bayislandsunitedfc