COMING EVENTS DECEMBER 2022
• LIONS CHRISTMAS FLOAT PARADE AND MARKETS Saturday, December 3, 9am, Macleay Island Community Centre. If businesses or organisation wish to participate with a float or stall on the day, please phone 0411639812. • MIAC MEMBERS CHRISTMAS PARTY- 10TH December 9am – 1pM. BYO plate and drinks • CHRISTMAS SINGALONG by the Russell Island Singers to be held on Friday 16th December 7pm at St Peter’s Hall, Russell Island. All islands invited. Bring your children and enjoy the Christmas Festive spirit! • CHRISTMAS CAROLS AND THE ROBERT STREET MARKETS on Sunday, December 18. The fun will start at 8.30am and run until 12.30pm The Christmas entertainment will start from 9am with some great musical performers. It is all to be held at the Resilience Centre grounds adjacent to RICARTS and the Community Gardens on Russell Island. Island children will be able to have their own photo with Santa Claus from 9am at a small cost of $2 per child or $5 per family of 3 children or more. Artisan stalls, trash and treasure. Bring a plan ket to sing-a-long to your favourite Christmas Carols • TANDEM Art Exhibition at MIAC, Macleay Island Gallery opening 14th January 2023, running for 2 weeks. Stoneware plates by Beatrice Sheehan and Sculptures & Figurines by Evelyn Griffiths will be for sale. • RUSSELL ISLAND COMMUNITY ARTS (RICArts) – A community-based organisation offering Art, Pottery, Ukulele, Sewing, Mosaic and Craft sessions from Monday to Friday. Weekday sessions $5 to attend – including morning tea. Yearly membership only $25 or $20 Concession. All welcome! Come along and see what we have to offer you. Find us at The Farm, Art House & Gallery, entry via Robert St, Russell Island. More info: Ph: 07 3409 1834 or 0418 445 942. Email - firstname.lastname@example.org website: www.russellislandarts.com/ • RICArts Pottery sessions have been extended as follows: Monday morning (Janice Maxwell tutor)· 9.30am to 12.30pm · Suits beginners to advanced potters. Monday afternoon (Edith Leigh tutor) · 1.00pm to 4.00pm · Suits beginners to advanced potters. Tuesday morning (NO Tutor on hand) · 9.30am to 12.30pm · Suits those who do not need any assistance and are more experienced Friday morning (Janice Maxwell tutor) · 9.30am to 12.30pm · Suits beginners to advanced potters. • RICArts Members’ and Guests’ Christmas Party and Members’ Exhibition Opening is on Friday 2 December from 6pm. The exhibition runs through until 17 January 2023. This exhibition incorporates our popular $50 and under sale as well as artworks over $50. Come along and grab a lovely Christmas gift for a loved one or yourself. • RICArts collaborates with the Community Garden. Artists from RICArts have created art works to decorate the Community Garden shed and help celebrate the success of these two community groups. You can view these art panels in the Community Garden closer to Christmas. The Community Garden is open on Sunday mornings. • RICArts Christmas Closure Period. We will hold our last session on Friday 23 December and then close for Christmas/New Year period. We will re-open for usual sessions on Monday 9 January 2023. • BIMSARA AGM February 15th 2023 1.00pm. Sports Hub Union Street Russell Island The Bay islands Multi Sport and Recreation Assoc (Inc) invites all residents to consider nominations for a new executive committee for 2023. The BIMSARA executive committee currently meets weekly on Wednesdays during office hours at the Sports Hub , Russell Island. Then monthly general meetings with the full committee.
• Macleay Island Ukulele Group - MUGS has been established over 10 Years. Meeting every Friday at The Progress Hall, Russell Terrace, Macleay Island from 12noon - 3pm. Fee $5 casual and includes afternoon tea. * First time free. Bring your Uke and join us for some fun or just pop in on a Friday afternoon and say Hi. *Scan FB QR code for updates
• SELF DEFENCE CLASSES Tai Chi exercises with basic self defence techniques.Held at Marian T’s RedShed Studio and dojo, Russell Island. Classes: Wednesday 12.30pm Thai Chi flowing self defence; Wednesday 5pm Wadi Ryu martial arts self defence; Thursday 5pm Wadi Ryu martial arts self defence. Costs: $10 all ages and abilities. Phone Marian 0412225 588.
Macleay Island Ukulele Group - MUGS has been established over 10 Years. Meetings every Friday at The Progress Hall, Russell Terrace, Macleay Island from 12noon - 3pm. Fee $5 casual and includes afternoon tea. * First time free. Bring your Uke and join us for some fun or just pop in on a Friday afternoon and say Hi. *Scan FB QR code for updates
• CAN DO Companion Line Do you need help or just want a chat… Maybe stuck at home and sometimes lonely...We can keep in contact with you and check you are ok…run a few errands possibly...listen to what’s on your mind. Ring Lea on 0422 465 493 Mon—Fri 9am-3pm.
• JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - A Justice of the Peace (JP) is now available at Macleay Island Community Library on Fridays from 10.00 am to 12.00 noon.
• BICS COUNSELLOR - Meet Jenny our organisations counsellor. Jenny is a Psychotherapist with vast experience in a broad range of counselling requirements. Fortnightly on a Wed from 11:00am—2:00pm available on Macleay and Russell. For bookings ring 3409 1177.
• Lamb Island Craft Group - 9am to 12pm Tuesdays. LIRA building near Progress Hall. All welcome for good company and a cuppa.
•BERNIE'S ARTISAN MARKET & SOCIAL, 3rd Saturday of the Month 8am to Midday, Great Barista coffee and good food - Community coming together- 26 Russell Terrace, Macleay Island.
• MACLEAY ISLAND TOURISM CENTRE - The Tourism Centre office is now open at the Macleay Island Community Hall complex. It is open 5 days a week.
• LIONS CLUB COMMUNITY MARKETS are held at the Macleay Island Community Centre on the first Saturday of each month.
• COME DANCE WITH US - Thursdays 9.30am - 1.00pm at the Bay Islands Community Services, 55 Jackson Road, Russell Island. Girls & Guys Line Dancing dance to a variety of music - Country - Pop - Rock n Roll - Waltz. More info contact Joanne 0419 999 540
• TABLE TENNIS - FREE of CHARGE first night. WHERE: Recreational Hall, Alison Cres. 6pm to 8pm every Monday night. Contact Siobhan 0406108882; Alan 0418799765.