• Moonlight event postponed
MOONLIGHT MOVIES ON MACLEAY To be held again Saturdays August 12th and September 30th.
With two more fantastic films plus live performances. Contact via email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 0491 386 637.
• VIETNAM VETERANS DAY Fri 18th August. Macleay Island RSL are having a service at 11am at the Cenotaph at Pat’s Park. This year commemorates the 50th Anniversary of the official end of the Vietnam conflict when the last of Australia’s troops were withdrawn from South Vietnam. For more information 0499558304. Email: email@example.com
• ART MY WORD – a book based art exhibition, is coming in September. Come to the Macleay Library and register ($20) for this fun art exercise. Collect your lucky-dip-book and let the creative process begin. Free choice of medium and free interpretation. We are looking forward to seeing your entries!! firstname.lastname@example.org
• MIAC INTERIM GALLERY SET UP! The MIAC Art Gallery is now located at the Macleay Island Shopping complex in Southsea Terrace, behind the Macleay Island Post Office. Volunteers have been hard at it for a couple of weeks setting up the area for the temporary gallery which will be utilised for some time whilst the new gallery is being built.
• 21st ANNUAL PRAYER BREAKFAST 2023 - When: Friday 8 September from 7am to 8.45am. Where: Alexandra Hills Hotel and Conference Centre, corner McDonald and Finucane Roads, Alexandra Hills. Tickets: $65 each or $600 for a table of 10, including GST (limit of 10 people per table). Bookings: redland.qld.gov.au/mpb
• RUSSELL ISLAND COMMUNITY ARTS (RICArts) – A community-based organisation offering Art, Pottery, Ukulele, Mosaic and Craft sessions from Monday to Friday with gallery open on weekends too.
All welcome! Come along and see what we have to offer you. Find us at The Farm, Art House & Gallery, entry via Robert St, Russell Island. A short walk from the jetty. More info: Ph: 0418 445 942. Email - email@example.com website: www.russellislandarts.com/
• RICArt’s is now dressed to thrill thanks to Dunc the Painter!! The gallery is certainly looking very spruced up and dressed to thrill. RICArts members would like to send a huge shout out to Dunc the Painter who did such a wonderful job painting The Farm, Arthouse & Gallery, Russell Island AND he donated his time and painted the roof for FREE!!! What a wonderful person and what a wonderful job. We can highly recommend Dunc the Painter whose motto “Where Quality Counts” is certainly reflected in his paintwork. Contact Dunc the Painter on 0413 581 680 and tell him RICArts recommended him. You won’t be disappointed!
• RICArt’s 2nd Annual ‘Out of the Flame’ Pottery & General Members’ Exhibition runs till 8 August. This exhibition continues until 8 August with over 100 pieces of pottery and artwork for sale.
• Garden Art Workshops – Last chance Saturday 5 August – Introduction to Sculpture with Bob Turner
Bob will be running the last session at The Fisherman’s Shack, 24 Douglas Street, Russell Island (next to Jock Kennedy Park) incorporating mosaic, sculpture, moulds, carving etc. The cost is $15 with most materials supplied. Bookings essential at The Farm, Arthouse & Gallery or contact Mandy 0460 404 499.
• Paint & Sip with Mandy Pearson – Sunflowers inspired by Van Gough
Saturday 19 August, 10am to 1pm at The Farm, Arthouse & Gallery. Cost is $40 members/$50 non-members with all art materials supplied. BYO beverage of choice & snacks with tea/coffee provided.
• RICArts proudly presents Maxine Thompson Pencil Drawing 2-day workshop supported by Redland City Council’s Community Grants Program 2022-23 funding. Saturday 2 & Sunday 3 September. Bookings are essential as places are strictly limited and filling fast. Waiting list is available. Cost is $150 members/$170 non-members with full payment required on booking. Book at the gallery or contact Mandy 0460 404 499. Funding for this event has been provided by Redland City Council.
• RICArts 4th Annual Art Competition “My Favourite Place’ or ‘Where I Live’. Entries due Friday 22 September. $25 per entry limited to 2 entries per artist. All mediums welcome. For more details and entry forms call into the gallery or contact firstname.lastname@example.org Interested in being a Sponsor for this event? Please contact email@example.com to discuss.
• SMBI Garden Competition 2023 Awards Event will again be hosted at The Farm, Arthouse & Gallery on Saturday 7 October at 4pm with winners being announced by Damien & Andre`. Entry forms now available from The Farm, Arthouse & Gallery, Russell Island and other SMBI venues.
• The RedShed Studio's PilatesYoga and Qigong are in their 8th year of encouraging community fitness with fun laughter and expertise. Contact Marian 0412 22 55 88 or PilatesYogaFusion@gmail.com
• RPAC SHOWS COIL Friday and Saturday August 18 and 19 at 7.30pm; Bell Shakespear’s 12th NIGHT, Saturday September 2, 7.30pm. The Sunshine Club Musical Wednesday, September 13, 7.30pm. Redland Performing Arts Centre Concert Hall. Bookings RPAC 3829 8131 or rpac.com.au
• GIRLS DAY OUT LUNCHES are being held on the last Thursday of the month. Proceeds from raffle to go to the Animal Welfare league. New and old participants are welcome. PH 0434969790 Sue for any more information.
• VISTA GROUP Macleay Island - Help to improve Macleay Island and join our group. Meetings the 1st of each month at 2pm at Macleay Island Progress Hall. To find out more email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Suzanne 0435006365.
• START IN THE PARK: Try some light exercise with Council equipment but also bring your own dumb bells. Held on Macleay @ 8am opposite Community Centre each Thursday. For more info 0400 463 443.
• BOB TURNER’S FISHERMAN’S SHACK ART establishment where Bob conducts at weekend art classes in a variety of mediums. For more information please phone 0432 092 676.
Kiti’s Tai Chi for Health – Dr Paul Lam’s style of tai chi is world renown. It is offered again on all SMBI. For information contact by TEXT 0400 463 443.
• Macleay Island Ukulele Group - MUGS has been established over 10 Years. Meeting every Friday at The Progress Hall, Russell Terrace, Macleay Island from 12noon - 3pm. Fee $5 casual and includes afternoon tea. * First time free. Bring your Uke and join us for some fun or just pop in on a Friday afternoon and say Hi. *See our Facebook Group for Updates
• CAN DO Companion Line Do you need help or just want a chat… Maybe stuck at home and sometimes lonely...We can keep in contact with you and check you are ok…run a few errands possibly...listen to what’s on your mind. Ring Lea on 0422 465 493 Mon—Fri 9am-3pm.
• JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - A Justice of the Peace (JP) is now available at Macleay Island Community Library on Fridays from 10.00 am to 12.00 noon.
• BICS COUNSELLOR - Meet Jenny our organisations counsellor. Jenny is a Psychotherapist with vast experience in a broad range of counselling requirements. Fortnightly on a Wed from 11:00am—2:00pm available on Macleay and Russell. For bookings ring 3409 1177.
• Lamb Island Craft Group - 9am to 12pm Tuesdays. LIRA building near Progress Hall. All welcome for good company and a cuppa.
• BERNIE'S ARTISAN MARKET & SOCIAL, 3rd Saturday of the Month 8am to Midday, Great Barista coffee and good food - Community coming together- 26 Russell Terrace, Macleay Island.
• MACLEAY ISLAND TOURISM CENTRE - The Tourism Centre office is now open at the Macleay Island Community Hall complex. It is open 5 days a week.
• LIONS CLUB COMMUNITY MARKETS are held at the Macleay Island Community Centre on the first Saturday of each month.
• COME DANCE WITH US - Thursdays 9.30am - 1.00pm at the Bay Islands Community Services, 55 Jackson Road, Russell Island. Girls & Guys Line Dancing dance to a variety of music - Country - Pop - Rock n Roll - Waltz. More info contact Joanne 0419 999 540
• TABLE TENNIS - FREE of CHARGE first night. WHERE: Recreational Hall, Alison Cres. 6pm to 8pm every Monday night. Contact Siobhan 0406108882; Alan 0418799765.