COMING EVENTS JANUARY 2022
• CHAMBER AGM - After a challenging couple of years we look forward to coming together again for the SMBI Chamber of Commerce AGM which is scheduled for 5.30pm, Wednesday 19 January 2022 at the Russell Island Recreation Hall (near ferry). For any questions please call Shane Rendalls on 0423 606 384, or Chris McGregor on 0420 555 997.
• AUSTRALIA DAY, Wednesday January 26
• RUSSELL ISLAND - Island organisation BIMSARA, Russell Island Sports Fishing Club, Bay Islands Auto Club and Shayne’s Kitchen will be combining for a massive Australia Day 2022 celebration. The event this year will be held at the Union Street Sports Grounds adjacent to the Resilience Centre.
• BAY ISLANDER OF THE YEAR Will be announced at the Russell Island event at 1pm by Cr Mark Edwards.
• A CAR TO BE WON AT RUSSELL ISLAND RSL CLUB! A major car raffle art union is to be drawn in the grounds of the Russell Island RSL Club at 3pm on Australia Day. is being held by the club with an MG sedan to be won! Currently $10 tickets can be purchased via email at email@example.com or calling 0433657787
AUSTRALIA DAY FUN ON ALL THE ISLANDS
All the island will be celebrating Australia Day. Also on Russell Island the Russell Island RSL club has an afternoon of entertainment. On Macleay Island Club Macleay and the Bay Island Golf Club have big days to be enjoyed. All the club and social venues on North Stradbroke (Minjerribah) and Coochiemudlo Islands have events planned.
RUSSELL ISLAND COMMUNITY ARTS (RICArts) – A community-based organisation offering Art, Pottery, Sewing, Mosaic and Craft sessions from Monday to Friday 9.30am - 12.30pm. Weekday sessions $5 to attend – including morning tea. Yearly membership only $25 or $20 Concession.
Find us at The Farm, Art House & Gallery, entry via Robert St, Russell Island.
More info: Ph: 07 3409 1834 or 0418 445 942. Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
RICART’s Ukulele Group RICArt’s Ukulele Group has now commenced lessons and practice on Tuesday afternoons from 1pm. Ukulele members are required to be RICARTs members and the cost is $5 each per session.
RICARTS New Year Members’ Exhibition – Opening Friday 7 January 2022 from 5.30pm
The Farm, Arthouse & Gallery, Robert Street Russell Island has a new exhibition by members with the opening night on Friday 7 January from 5.30pm. BYO Drinks and a plate of nibbles to share. All artwork is for sale and will be available to view every weekday from 9.30am to 12.30pm Enjoy the surrounds of the old avocado farm and have a coffee at Rosie’s Island Beans Coffee Cart – you won’t be disappointed!
• BINGO RUSSELL ISLAND The popular activity is now being played twice a week at the Baby Islands Community Services Hall at 55 Jackson Road. Bingo is played on Tuesday nights from 6pm to 8.30 pm and on Friday mornings from 10am to 12.30pm. If you wish to know more, please contact Camela on 0407 599 746.
• JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - A Justice of the Peace (JP) is now available at Macleay Island Community Library on Fridays from 10.00 am to 12.00 noon.
• Lamb Island Craft Group - 9am to 12pm Tuesdays. LIRA building near Progress Hall. All welcome for good company and a cuppa.
• BERNIE'S MARKET 3rd Saturday of the Month at Macleay Island Progress Hall from 8.30 to 12.30. Once we are back to normal I will keep you up to date with our functions and events.
• MACLEAY ISLAND TOURISM CENTRE - The Tourism Centre office is now open at the Macleay Island Community Hall complex. It is open 5 days a week.
• LIONS CLUB COMMUNITY MARKETS are held at the Macleay Island Community Centre on the first Saturday of each month.
Ladies Golf Report. October 26th was a 2 person Ambrose 1 x lady, 1 x man the day was sponsored by Bay Island Taxi, Zan & David Howe. Thank you to the both of you. As normal it was a great day, with great prizes & a hotly contested field. Winners Jeff & Mel Ridge with a 59.75 score Runner-up Jan Brey & Laurie Fleming with 62, 3rd prize went to Emm Maume & Nigel McLachlan with 63.50 November 9th Monthly Medal Winner Barb Garver with 69 points runner-up Gaye Sandy with 70. Nov.16th Foursomes Sponsored by Emm Maume another great day & great prizes. Winners Kay Ross & Rhonda Chapman 69.5 2nd place Barb Garvey & Zan Howe with 72.5, 3rd Moya & Emm73.5 4th prize went to Jo McAntee & Gaye Sandy 75. November 23rd single stableford winner Emm Maume with 36 points Runner-up Gail Spann with 31 points November 30th was washed out. Medal of Medal Finalists was played on 7th December the Winner Moya Fox with 71 points Congratulations Moya. Runner-up Barb Garvey with 72. December Monthly Medal will be played on January 18th Happy New Year To All - Rhonda Chapman